Picture this: A perfect proposal. You’re on one knee, ready to pop the question to the love of your life. You booked this beautiful boat, and you both had the best dinner. You went all out for this; even got the ring on a sea shell. Picture-perfect, right?
Then the worst happens.
The ring slips and falls into the water. Gruesome.
Luckily, the boat stocks the best waterproof metal detectors. You know, just in case accidents like these happen? At this point, you don’t care if this is pure coincidence or standard practice.
A quick dive and you have your ring in record time. In fact, your wedding proposal trends online and makes you famous overnight. If someone caught it on camera, that is.
We learn two lessons. One, if you intend to propose anywhere close to a large mass of water, purchase a waterproof metal detector. It’s a wise investment.
Second, just make sure the boat you’re on has one, just to act as insurance. Better safe than sorry.
The best thing about waterproof metal detectors is that they are versatile and can be used in:
- Searching for relics, keys, precious metals, jewelry, coins
- Public security checks at malls, and other public spaces
- Police investigations of crime scenes
- Recovering waste iron
Fun Fact: Did you know that schools don’t have metal detectors?
Image Credits: zdnet.com
Best Waterproof Metal Detectors
Typically, you’ll need a waterproof metal detector because of rainy seasons, and when using it underwater (such as for scuba diving). For whichever reason you’d want one, we’ve got you covered.
We have compiled this list of the best underwater metal detectors. And yes, we tried all of them.
1) Wedigout Metal Detector: Best Waterproof Metal Detector for Beginners
- ✔FULLY WATERPROOF PIN POINTER- With Pulse Induction Technology(PI),Allow hunting metal in water, on land or in any type of soil, including black sand.
- ✔HIGH SENSITIVITY AND DETECTION DEPTH STABILITY- Automatic tuning ,The state of the art microprocessor controlled design requires no adjustments of any kind.
- ✔SEALED CONSTRUCTION AND UPGRADED DESIGN- The pin pointer rugged sealed construction and stainless steel hardware are built to last.Built in low battery sensor ,safty ,sensitive,quickly,effeciency.
- ✔EASY TO USE AND INSTALL- Auto on and off ,just with a simple gesture- turn over the Pin pointer;With led light, you can easily distinguish detecing sigal.Convenient to carry with belt ring & wrist strap.★★Please fully tighten the back cover when you use it underwater 🙂
- ✔MULTI APPLICATIONS- Search for Metals,Keys, Coins,Jewelry,Relics,Needle/pin and much more, on Beach ,Mountain,Diving searching, Archaeology, Public security check, Police detecting, Pinpointing decoration line, Waste Iron Recovery...
The Wedigout Metal Detector is a fully waterproof handheld device used to dig out metallic relics in water. Further, it can be used by the police in investigations and public security checks.
Image Credits: divein.com
This underwater detector has the following features:
- Stainless steel construction
- Automatic on and off
- Uses Pulse Induction technology
- White LED indicator light and vibration when the target object is detected
It uses a 9V battery that’s not included in the box. This was a huge downside; you’d expect to buy an all-inclusive kit. However, this is not enough to disparage the detector’s performance. It really works well.
Also, it has an operating frequency of 20.28 kHz and is 17 x 4.5 x 4.1 inches in dimensions. It comes in yellow (and black).
We recommend this metal detector for beginners and simple detection excursions. It would be perfect for a beach outing or a fun kid’s adventure.
Image Credits: ebay.com
2) Pallipartners Metal Detector: Best Waterproof Metal Detector for Jewelry Detection
- HIGH ACCURACY & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL: The diameter of this metal detector’s search coil is 10 inches. As you know, the bigger the search coil is, the higher the sensitivity, let you detecting more efficient and time-saving. Waterproof search coil enables you to use detecting to underwater, perfect for outdoor, like beach, stream, backyard. (Note: the control box is not waterproof)
- THREE STRONG MODES & TRUE DISCRIMINATION MODE - metal detector has three operation models: ① All Metal Mode - the metal detector notifies you whenever it sees any metal. ② Disc Mode - you can utilize this metal detector to discriminate against other types of metal for a specific one. ③ Notch mode –press “NOTCH”, then press “+”or ”-” button to select the target to be notched(eliminated). And you can simply eliminate the metal you don’t want through Discrimination Mode & Notch mode.
- INTUITIVE LCD DISPLAY & DEEPER DETECTION - it is obviously more accurate and convenient that you can see the detection mode, sensitivity level, battery condition, and volume level. Even in the night time or dark light area. You can get information intuitively from the LCD screen and it can detect metals up to 8.7 inch depth.
- ADJUSTABLE & HUMANITY DESIGN – metal detector from 41.3 inch to 47.6 inch adjustable stem, suitable for both adults and kids. Save more effort with arm rest design, makes you more comfortable and less stressful. Let's start your treasure hunting with this lovely PalliPartners metal detector.
- FULL ACCESSORIES & YOU WORTH TO OWN IT: not only you can get 1×Metal Detector but also have 1×Carrying Bag, 1× Shovel(more durable & strong than other shovels), it has a headset jack that can be used with conventional headsets, two batteries are included. Whatever you're a beginner or advanced metal detectorist, PalliPartners metal detector is always suitable for you. If you have any questions about metal detector or metal detecting technicality, please feel free to contact us.
The PalliPartners waterproof metal detector has a search coil of 10″ in diameter. Further, it has a highly intuitive and interactive LED screen that displays details of the detection, such as mode, volume, and battery level.
The stem is adjustable and is 41.3 to 47.6 inches, depending on the depth you need. We tested it on shallow to deep waters, and the results were impressive.
Image Credits: ebay.com
It is an accurate metal detector with three detection modes to make your treasure hunting even more detailed. The first one, called the All Metal Mode, detects any metal and notifies you. Disc (Discrimination) Mode allows you to specify which metal you want, while Notch Mode lets you eliminate the metal you don’t want.
The detector detects six metals: nickel, iron, aluminum, gold, copper, and silver. So this waterproof detector works for lost jewelry.
It comes in black (and another preferred color such as yellow or green). This detector is perfect as a Christmas gift or for any environmentalist and explorer out there.
Image Credits: abunda.com
3) Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector: Best for Tough Ground Mineral Conditions
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
- Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode
- Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
- Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
One of the most amazing features of this waterproof metal detector is its LED screen. Bounty Hunter calls it ‘Effective Technology.’
It displays everything you need to know about your search, from strength meter and battery status, which is really impressive, especially if you want to play with some of these features. We had a blast figuring out what each symbol meant.
Image Credits: homedepot.com
A contender that comes in a close second is its three search modes: All-Metal Mode, Discrimination Mode, and 2-Tone Audio Mode.
It also has buttons for controlling sensitivity and discrimination. Additionally, it has a 6.3mm headphone jack. Its operating frequency is 6.6 kHz.
The stem is adjustable, from 43″ to 52″. The waterproof search coil is 8 inches in diameter and detects small-sized objects up to 8 inches deep, while larger ones will be detected at 2 feet. Its dimensions are 28.25 x 10 x 6.25 inches.
Its uses are versatile, such as finding arrows in bushes.
Image Credits: youtube.com
4) Garrett Pro Pointer AT Metal Detector: Best Waterproof Metal Detector for Light Expeditions
This 0.5 lbs waterproof metal detector comes in 10 x 10 x 5.5 inches. It is fully waterproof up to 10 feet, which is quite commendable for such a small device.
Image Credits: garrett.com
It is a small handheld pinpoint metal detector that is used in conjunction with a full-size metal detector. You first have to use the full-size metal detector to narrow down the specific area where the target is, then use Garrett’s Pro Pointer to fish it out.
Image Credits: garrett.com
It can be used to detect unseen nails in wood or concrete. Ultimately, this could save you both time and money that would have been wasted on flat tires.
We found about $5 in coins on one excursion. We’ll surely be taking our Garrett out for more of these.
5) PANCKY Metal Detector: Best Waterproof Metal Detector for Shallow Depth
- 【5 Modes of Operation】PANCKY adults metal detectors has 5 distinct modes allow you to effectively search for the desired metals. 🚩All METAL MODE , 🚩DISC MODE , 🚩MEMORY MODE , 🚩JEWELRY MODE, 🚩PINPOINTER We are equipped with a full range of accessories and you can start your treasure hunt as soon as you open the package.
- 【10inch Waterproof Search Coil】PANCKY IP68 waterproof metal detector enables you works well in shallow water. Perfect for beach, stream, and rainy day. which means that you can freely dive with it and find treasures hidden from the eyes of the majority. Metal detectors can be easily cleaned and save. (Note: the control box is not waterproof).
- 【Upgraded DSP Chip】Upgraded DSP chip metal detector which improves search range and sensitivity, greatly conducive to detecting efficiency. It’s so powerful it can locate a quarter coin up to 10" underground. It can find larger objects at even greater depths.
- 【Intuitive LCD Display 】Large color LCD display allows you to get the detection dynamics at any time. It’s convenient for you to get the type of metal target, depth, recognition, sensitivity level, operating mode, which let you detecting more efficient and time-saving.
- 【Ergonomics Design】 Equipped with 39.37" to 47.24" adjustable stem applicable to different height gold detector enthusiasts. It has got an ergonomic design that involves adjustable armrest and an anti-slip handle that equips your hunting experience with comfort. Besides, we also provide one Backpack, convenient to carry and store the metal detector.
PANCKY’s waterproof metal detector comes in black and red and has 5 distinct search modes, which are:
- All Metal Mode
- Disc Mode
- Memory Mode
- Jewelry Mode
Image Credits: panckydetectors.com
Its waterproof coil is 10 inches wide. Moreover, it has an adjustable stem that can go from 47.3 to 55.2 inches. According to PANCKY, it works best in rainy seasons or on the beach. It weighs 2 lbs.
An advanced DSP chip enables it to have higher sensitivity. It can detect a coin up to 10″ deep, and larger items from greater depths.
Its LCD is simple yet intuitive allowing you to select the detection mode, volume, and sensitivity. The backlight is also adjustable.
If there’s one thing we absolutely love about PANCKY it’s that it was quite easy to assemble, despite how complicated it looks.
6) OMMO Metal Detector: Best Waterproof Metal Detector for Treasure Hunting
- 👣👣HIGH ACCURACY & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL: 10-inch metal detector with IP68 waterproof search coil, it has a high sensitivity, it detecting depth of up to 8 inches deep for small coins and metal objects, larger objects up to 3 feet. Waterproof search coil enables you to use detecting to underwater, Perfect for outdoor, like beach, stream, and yard. (Note: the control box is not waterproof)
- 👣👣3 STRONG MODES OF OPERATIONS: OMMO metal detector kit has three distinct modes that make you can optimize from in detecting metals. ① All Metal Mode - the metal detector notifies you whenever it sees any metal. ② Disc Mode - you can utilize this gold metal detector to discriminate against other types of metal for a specific one. ③ Pinpoint – According to your environment to choose the different positioning strength, aids in the detection of metals by beeping
- 👣👣LARGE BACK-LIT LCD DISPLAY: Usually is used beach metal detectors for adults, which equipped with a large back-lit LCD screen to display different detecting depth, discrimination, operating mode, overload warning, sensitivity level, and battery level you can get information intuitively from the screen, which let you detecting more efficient and time-saving
- 👣👣HUMANITY DESIGN & ADJUSTABLE: Don't worry about the length of the stem, the metal detector from 30 inches to 41-inch adjustable stem, suitable for different height adults. And the armrest design will help you to save more effort, makes you more comfortable and less stressed. Let's start your treasure hunt with the lovely OMMO metal detector
- 👣👣KINDLY KNOW THAT:There are some factors are likely to interfere with the correct signal from the metal detector. 1) Not put the device on the floor, cause most of the building floor has much metal embed. 2) Not suggested to use it indoors, large appliances can also interfere with metal detectors. 3) If you use it outdoors, avoid highly mineralized soil, places with metal waste. If you carry a digging tool, please also place it a little further away from the metal detector when detecting
Functioning majorly as a gold metal detector, the OMMO waterproof metal detector can be used to collect gold nuggets; smaller ones up to 8 inches deep, and larger ones up to 3 feet deep.
Image Credits: ommohome.com
The stem is adjustable from 3o to 41 inches, which makes it ideal for both kids and adults. It measures 17.6 x 11 x 5.4 inches and is quite portable. It was so light, we had to remind ourselves that we had a metal detector with us.
It also has 3 search modes: All Metal Mode, Disc Mode, and Pinpoint.It beeps once it finds the target. Because of this, it is prudent to place any metallic shovels far from the detector.
This metal detector is versatile, as one can exactly narrow down to where the target object is using the pinpoint mode. Technically, you get the benefits of both types of metal detectors in one.
7) Minelab Equinox 900 Metal Detector: Best for Professional Metal Detectorists
- MULTI-IQ TECHNOLOGY: Minelab’s revolutionary technology combines the power of multiple detectors into one, allowing you to effectively search all metals, all soils, all the time.
- ACCURATE TARGET IDs: Identify your targets quickly and confidently to efficiently sort between trash and treasure with 119 Target IDs (20 ferrous, 99 non-ferrous).
- TARGET SEPARATION: Recovery Speed and Iron Bias help you discriminate between trash and treasure.
- WATERPROOF: Go anywhere, even below the surface. The EQUINOX 900 is waterproof up to 16 ft (5 meters) with an IP68 rating.
- ALL-TERRAIN: Outperform other detectors and dominate detection in any condition. Search all metals, all soils, all the time – including gold. With the Gold mode, no nugget will escape you.
With a price range that may be on the steep side, this detector is for professional divers, underwater hunting, or intense search expeditions. It features a multi-IQ technology that aims to merge multiple detectors into one.
Image Credits: joanallen.co.uk
Further, it has accurate 119 target IDs, which help differentiate between useless objects and the required ones. This saves both time and energy.
It weighs 2.8 lbs, which made it very easy to carry around. It is also supremely waterproof, up to 16 feet (5 meters). It uses lithium-ion batteries.
Our overall experience with this Minelab Equinox detector was seamless and fun. It turned every adventure into a serious excursion, with data and reports.
Image Credits: minelab.com
Checklist for Waterproof Metal Detectors
Don’t just buy a metal detector because it works, buy one that is both convenient and durable. The following are other factors you should consider before buying a waterproof metal detector:
1) The Search Coil
The search coil (or detection coil) is the circular part of your metal detector that creates a magnetic field that senses metal objects in the water. How far the search coil will detect will be proportional to the search coil’s diameter.
Image Credits: freepik.com
However, size does not imply performance. When the search coil is too big, the magnetic field pattern will become less concentrated and may not sense small metal objects like coins.
2) Pulse Induction (PI) vs Very Low Frequency (VLF)
PI metal detectors have two coils (transmitter and receiver coil) for the transfer of signals, while VLF has one coil that acts as both. VLF metal detectors are best for smaller targets and shallow grounds. PI metal detectors are best for highly mineralized soils and salt water.
Wet, salty sand would require a waterproof metal detector with pulse induction. Plus, such devices are used for gold detection.
3) The Depth of the Water
Of course, the water’s depth matters a lot, even for informing the decision of whether to use a PI metal detector or a VLF. Further, underwater metal detecting works differently for different depths. Check your metal detector for specifications on how far it can detect.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1) Are all waterproof metal detectors really waterproof?
While most metal detectors are not completely waterproof, the search coil will have to be waterproof so as not to short-circuit the machine. This all depends on the manufacturer.
However, an underwater metal detector that will have to be completely submerged in water will have to be entirely waterproof, not just the search coil.
2) Do waterproof metal detectors perform better than normal metal detectors?
It all depends on the detector’s designated performance. The aspect of being waterproof does not affect performance, as compared to say, whether the detector is a PI detector or a VFI detector.
Therefore, waterproof metal detectors perform similarly to other metal detectors in the same category. Being waterproof is just a perk, a necessary one for some users.
3) Do waterproof metal detectors experience the ‘Product Effect’?
Technically, yes. Product effect happens when an object with high moisture or salt content generates its own magnetic field. This will then trigger wrong readings on the metal detectors.
Other factors that affect this product effect include temperature. Frozen water may be difficult to detect objects from. So during winter, it may be tough, even impossible, to use your waterproof metal detector. Visibility will be greatly hampered.
Featured Image Credits: pixabay.com